Sunday, April 7, 2013

A Trip Like No Other


Saturday Night--March 30, 2013

Pastor Ralph gives a report about the
construction work to the Maramba Church
Chaplain Rob--It's hard to plan "last" worships.  We are going to be leaving tomorrow morning early...it's kind of hard to plan what to say . . . 

"What can you really say?  We actually made it.  For those of you who weren't part of the planning, actually getting here was crazy.  We accomplished something.  We did the projects that we planned.  Lots of things happened to get you here.  You got to live in another country for a week and a half, hang out with them, minister to them.

"What you've done, very few people get to do.  It's hard to imagine because you are from the Adventist culture where we do mission work.  But a small percentage of the world does this.  

Pastor Jay accompanies Eric
during the Sabbath afternoon
meeting at Maramba Church.
"This group is unique.  As many mission trips that you go on from here on out, you will never be on a trip like this again.  You will never have this group of people together again.  This trip will forever be ingrained in your memory.  The people you met, the things you did are unique for yourself  This will never be repeated again.  This group, this people, this ministry will be repeated again.  That's awesome.  You are part of something that only 44 other people experienced in the world.

"You built things that were of eternal value.  You didn't come just for excursions.  You came to work--you sweat, you helped others, you sweat and laid block.  You built something for the future.  People are going to go to church, go to school in that building you helped build.  The people you helped with the medical team, you transformed their lives.  You'll find in heaven for real what you did.  You built things of eternal value.

Chaplain Rob gives some last words
to the Maramba Church on Sabbath afternoon.
"You were part of something very special . . .  So how does this translate?  You're not going to go home and lay a bunch of block outside your house.  You are not going to do triage or pray with someone at a medical clinic.  You won't have zebras in your front yard.  But . . . you can still build things of eternal value in your neighborhood.  There are things to be built back home of eternal value.  People to meet.  Souls to win.  I hope this is the start of you doing something of eternal value.

Brooke, Eric, and Alex sing for the church
one last time.
"Alex said he never thought he could sing an acapella solo.  But he realizes that he can now.  Those are things that translate.  It's not over.  Sure, it can be over if you want it to be.  Or it can be extended throughout the rest of your life.  Because things translate.  It doesn't have to end.  The work and mission does not end here.  We need it at home, too.

Brooke, Mrs. Maloon, Alex, Eric, Dr. Muncy,
and Pastor Jay at the Maramba Church
"So...does it end for you tomorrow or does it continue on into eternity?  Are you going to keep going, building things of eternal value?  Will this be the start of experience after experience of a life with Jesus.  Where does it start of you?  Does it continue?  Or is it just a small experience?"

Share Time
At the beginning of the trip, Chaplain Rob asked each team member "What do you want God to do for you on this trip?"  At our last worship together, he asked the question again.  Here are some of the answers:

Mission Team members enjoy a mini-concert
of African folk music on instruments made
of gourds.
Eric--when you're in the U.S., you're really comfortable and you don't have to rely on God.  Everything is repetitive and becomes kind of trivial.  When you're on a mission trip you don't know what's going to happen.  You have to rely on God more.  This week has made me rely on God, and I'm comfortable doing that.  I never preached before, but I've come to rely on Him to get me through that.  He's made me rely more on Him and I'm thankful for that.

Rebeca--I asked God to help me be more grateful.  Throughout the week I saw how much things meant to people here and when I go back I'm going to appreciate things more.

Jessica--I wanted to get closer to God and I think He helped me do that.  We didn't have as many distractions and I was able to focus more and get closer to Him.

The zebras enjoyed the culture, too.
Abigail--before this, I wasn't that close to God and I felt I couldn't do things.  I'm not the most social person in the world and I thought the kids wouldn't like me, but they all love everyone and I felt like I could do anything...With God all things are possible.

Alex--this journey didn't start here.  It started back in Phoenix when we went out to other churches asking for support and working our way to get here.  I'm glad I'm able to take something back to share with the church members.

African folk dancers joined the marimba players.
Alejandra--I didn't really want to come on the trip too much.  I was scared that it would be kind of a slap in the face.  I didn't want to get a spiritual high and then lose it when I go back.  It was kind of a slower embrace...like a little hug from God, that He's here for me...that I won't lose it when I get back but that it will slowly kind of grow.

Jacob--in the beginning of the week, I was just oh cool Africa.  But then it's a mission trip.  I prayed to God "show me that you are here."  It wasn't just the construction work or the little things I appreciated...There were many little things that wouldn't have happened without Him.  My wallet being found, I lost and found Mario's key, and a bunch of other things.  It's crazy how He can work with small things like that.

Cook Christi--I was just hoping for a friend.  I didn't know anyone or anything.  Its was pretty stressful.  Miss Aastrup's the best/coolest roommate ever.  I got 45 friends out of this.  It's pretty cool.

Dr. Morada--I want to congratulate to Mrs. Warren for setting this up.  Most don't know the hours that were spent in preparing for the medical part of this trip.  We know how difficult it is.  Mrs. Warren made it happen and I congratulate her for her good work.  Everything we needed, it was there.  Chaplain Rob is very energetic and indefatigable.  I congratulate everyone for doing their work.  The medical part I'd like to commend Ashley and Arlyn for staying there from beginning to end.  Everybody was cooperating and we were delighted to join you in this experience.  I praise God for that.

Enjoying the warmth of the African
sun at Kaazmein Lodge.
Alex--Austin and Sam [bus drivers] are the coolest guys every.  They have become good friends.


Thanks to Mrs. Muncy for all the organization of this trip.

Flexibility Awards
Eric--for getting through a difficult afternoon with the microphone/singing
Pastor Jay--big help with the guitar
Sam and Austin--for driving anywhere and everywhere
Chaplain Rob--the whole entire week/trip.  You remained cool and calm.  The seniors were talking on the plane about how crazy it's been.  But it's good that Chaplain Rob's here...He reminds us of home...it's all good...
VBS Team leads out in some songs during
the last worship in Africa.
Miss Aastrup--for taking the time to write our story...

Some of the leadership team at
Maramba Church
Mr. Maloon--Mr. Morada said "this is going to be a test of our faith" in September.  That kept proving itself.  Our prayers were to have the right people to do the right things.  Mrs. Muncy did a great job. The Moradas.  Dr. Muncy with our medical team.  Originally there were 45 kids going.  Just like Gideon, God tested our faith and it came down to you 25.  Mr. Anderson had to drop out and we got  Mr. Bujor and Pastor Robertson.  All the pieces fell into place.  We needed a VBS leader and we got the complete package in the Pearson family.  They even brought the materials and helped us get here.  We had all of the pieces of the puzzle except one.  We originally had Henry Livergood for a cook, but then he had to drop out, so we began to pray.  One day I got a random call from someone who wanted her niece at Thunderbird and we ended up with a cook.  Then there's Mrs. Warren...there's a Christianly kindness about her.  She can lead in such a kind way.  Thanks to both Deedee and Jay Warren.  Then to Sam and Austin.  They are not just two friends but part of our family.  They've been a blessing to us.  It's been a test of faith, but God has answered.  And a lot of times He's answered with people.


Chaplain Rob--we can't forget Mr. and Mrs. Maloon.  She made all kinds of spreadsheets and then her flexibility at church...and Mr. Maloon--you have no idea how many hours we've spent praying for the finances of this trip.  And Mr. Morada, thank you for giving me the opportunity to preach and for giving me "the state of the dead."  I didn't know how I was going deal with that but then one day I met with Pastor Arujo who told me that the state of the dead was a big deal to the people here.  God gave me that topic--thank you for pushing me on that.

Mr. Maloon--if you want to know why Thunderbird works, these (Ms. Aastrup, Chaplain Rob, Mr. Morada) are three reasons why.  And the young people!  You're the best behaved kids, such a wonderful group of kids.

Robbie--you guys have been so flexible

Pastor Jay--Mission is all about serving others and not being served.  That involves being in uncomfortable circumstances sometimes.  Stuff happens, but there were smiles and laughter and then you moved on.  I want to congratulate you.  There was no drama; you did a fantastic job.  Thank you for being good kids.  Christopher [taxi driver] feels enveloped into this family.  He has never felt the love and belonging and the feeling that he is a loved and valued member of our team.


Chaplain Rob--then there's the person who met Pastor Jay, DeeDee and me at the airport.  We've talked a lot, by the hour.  Thank you so much Eugene.

One of the folk dancers
Mrs. Warren--I really can't take the credit for all you said about me.  I feel the whole medical team was awesome.  Dr. Irene, Dr. Morada, Dr. Muncy--saw more than 500 people in 3 partial days.  You kids were so helpful.  It was hot out there.  We got mobbed a couple of times.  Everybody pitched in and did what we needed to do.  We had a wonderful team.


Pastor Ralph--I want to thank the young people, too.  I only volunteered to lay block and then I got called on to lead out.  You guys showed great patience and learned well.  Thank you for what you did.  Usually I go on trips with people I know, but I've gotten to know all of you and have enjoyed it.  Thank you to Peter Bujor, too.  You were a tremendous help.

Chaplain Rob--each one of you matters in a special way.  Students, for not complaining and for being flexible and understanding.  Adults, I can't thank you enough for being part of this trip and adding elements that we wouldn't have had otherwise. For the leadership team and all the hours you spent in addition to your work.  And because of this we have a lifetime of memories to share with others and to remember

Mrs. Pearson--I think you guys have been awesome.  You've been great to our girls.  You've been awesome examples to our girls.  They really look up to you.  The staff, you've been so patient and kind.  You've been incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment