Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Constructing Joy in Zambia


The construction site--a multi-purpose building
for school and church
Pastor Jay continued his thoughts on Philippians for Tuesday morning's worship.  We started by singing an old "retro" song --Rejoice in the Lord always and again I say rejoice.  "That's a command," Pastor Jay said.  “It was written in the imperative in the Greek:  Rejoice!  You will rejoice!"  He went on to say “Rejoicing is something that is a challenge for me.  I lean towards being a pessimist and have struggled with depression most of my life.  So when I read this, I say to myself "I don't feel like rejoicing!"
Jessica gets things into perspective

"Philippians has about 25-30 references to joy and joyful and having the joy of the Lord.  I want to look at Philippians 1:3, 4 today.  3 ‘I thank my God every time I remember you, always praying with joy for all of you.’

Working with the rebar
“Why was Paul so joyful about these people?  He wasn't about the Corinthians (shall I bring a stick and beat you with it)!  But there is in this book.  What made him so joyful about this city?  Because of the thoughts he had about the people that were there.

Lunch break!
“All my family lives in Texas.  I hate Texas.  Everything in Texas will either bite you, sting you, scratch you, or give you are rash.  And yet, when I think about Texas, I think about my family--4 brothers, 2 sisters, cousins, aunts and uncles...and it makes me feel good about Texas.

“So when Paul thought about the Philippians, who did he think about?  Lydia, the little slave girl, and many others.  Paul and Silas were in jail there.  You probably remember how they were singing, staying in jail even when the doors opened during the earthquake.  Because of their witness to the jailer, he asked to be baptized that night.

Johann gave his personal Bible to this man.
“When Paul wrote Philippians, he was in Rome, in jail, shackled to two soldiers.  In a few months, he would be let out and put on the executioner's block.  So there he is, thinking about Philippians.  I hope that when you get back to TAA and you look back on Zambia, you will look back with joy, think about the people you have met and pray for them.  They are joyful in doing the work despite the horrible conditions.  Be their joyful memory of your time here.”

[Photos for this entry are c/o Mr. Maloon]
A treat for lunch today:  soda!

Jacob climbs the scaffold for
a time-lapse series of photos
This man shared his shaman beans
with Mr. Maloon

No comments:

Post a Comment