Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Fiercely Intentional Missionaries


The Adventist Church where we are
holding Evangelistic meetings.  VBS is here
as well (across the lot in a tiny school room.
For worship Monday night, Chaplain Rob told about when he was growing up in the mid-1990s and the Chicago Bulls were the team to follow.  They did the three-peat and then did it again.  He loved Michael Jordan--had all kinds of memorabilia related to him.  In a book, there's a picture of Jordan practicing with the quote,  "Often for me the games were easier than the practice."  

Ward Pearson tells the children to line up.
Daniel assists him with crowd control
People used to ask Jordan, “Why do you play so hard every single night?” He would answer, "Because every night there might be a father and son who got to come to this game and who might never see me again.  I play my best for them."  He was fiercely intentional about playing basketball.  Early in his career they said he was a terrible defender, so he became the best defender.  He was fiercely intentional about proving everyone wrong who said he couldn't do something.

Dr. Morada (Oliver Morada's father) gives a health
nugget each night.  Monday night it was about
hypertension.
Chaplain Rob has been reading a book called Beautiful Outlaw that gives an interesting view about Jesus.  He's playful.  He's very human with his emotions.  "Fierce was intentionality.  Everything that Jesus did was pointedly done for someone specific.  In the temple he doesn't just flip over the tables, he takes time to make a whip.  He had time to think about it when he was twisting those chords.  He stops and releases the doves.  It's not just a fit of rage, he's very purposeful about everything he does

Some of the TAA boys play soccer with the
children each night after their VBS activities are finished.
There’s a story in Matthew 8:1-3 about Jesus and a leper:  When Jesus came down from the mountainside, large crowds followed him. A man with leprosy[a] came and knelt before him and said, “Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean. Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. “I am willing,” he said. “Be clean!” Immediately he was cleansed of his leprosy.”

The leper says to Jesus "if you want, make me clean.”  Jesus says “I am willing.  Be cleansed.”  Jesus put out His hand and touched him and immediately his leprosy was gone.

Dr. Morada consults with a patient in a
half-shelter clinic on Tuesday.
Jesus didn't have to touch him.  He could have just said "Be clean."  But instead, he touched him and made him clean.  That's intentional.  Everything that He did, He was focused.  He's very forceful with some people and how he calls them out.  But then he's very tender with Mary Magdalene...after he had written all the sins in the sand.

Chaplain Rob challenged the group saying, “Here, away from everything that's part of your ordinary life, why not be intentional.  Invest in someone.  That, for me, is out of my comfort zone.  But being intentional with people is actually kind of simple.  Shake people's hand, smile, ask how they are doing.  Then stick around for the answer.

Curious youngsters line up for a picture at the
Linda Township Health Clinic.
“Jesus was intentional about everything that He did.  Try to be intentional about everything you do tomorrow.  Jesus’ ministry was built on intentionality.  He was focused.  He purposefully went to parts of the country where no one else would go and was intentional there.  Reflect Jesus to those you meet tomorrow.

Cool encounters

Johann—I got to share my Bible with a guy at the work site

Daniel—I got mobbed during VBS.
Mrs. Maloon prays with patients who are
waiting to see one of the doctors.

Ms. Aastrup—I got to imagine God creating the zebras with the girl at front desk.  We concluded that He definitely has a great imagination!

Abby—Today at the medical site--I didn't think I could pray with anyone the way Mr. Morada suggested, but then I saw Mrs. Warren praying with someone and then I saw Mrs. Maloon also praying and it inspired me.

Haley—I enjoyed talking with a guy about the different things we say in America.

Mrs. Morada, Arlyn, and Ashley get the lab set up.
Jaden--After playing soccer with a bunch of kids I was showing American handshake and they were showing their handshakes.  Then I heard a snap and I recognized a kid I had taught the snap catch to yesterday, so we played again.

Mr. Maloon--At the work site we've been sharing lunchtime with some of the guys and they are sharing their shaman beans with us.

Mrs. Maloon--Mrs. Muncy has a dentistry 101 tutorial going on, pulling teeth and helping people out of their pain.  Haley was teaching a big bunch of kids how to brush their teeth and then she prayed with them at the end.

These children are not too sure about
the green bus and cameras.
Alex--I got to meet Monga, the sound system guy at church.  He introduced me to his family--five brothers.  It was nice getting to meet them.  He was teaching me various phrases.

Jaden--JT and I started off the work day laying block.  We were on scaffolding.  We were working on one block and had to keep relaying it.  Mr. Bujor came over and had some inspiring words to say to us.

Ralph--Johann had an interesting experience--he had to straighten up a piece of rebar and it blew up three layers of block, but he didn't lose his cool and he relayed it...handled it well.

Chaplain Rob—I had a major answer to prayer.  I went into town to run a few errands, then got back and went to find his room key, and it was missing.  The hotel does not have extra.  I felt in my pocket and found there is a hole in the pocket.  Christopher took us back to the grocery store and we walked all over everywhere I went and couldn't find it.  Then I stopped at this one place and there it was! 
Mrs. Maloon and Mrs. Maloon confer with
the nurse.  Baby Ennis is on her back.
Look for him in another entry with
Eric.
Mrs. Warren--I got to see some jungle medicine today.  A lady had some sutures that had been taken out a little early, so the nurse at the clinic used what she had and sewed them back with no anesthesia.  It was quite incredible to watch.

Flexibility Award
Jaden--Pastor Jay when he was laying bricks.  His bricks kept fallen apart.  But he kept his cool.

Daniel--JT because we were getting mobbed with the stickers and then he came out with glow sticks and took the attention off us.

Pastor Jay--Eric, who was trying to preach when the mob was screaming outside.



Mr. Maloon--Silver Trowel Award to Daniel who is becoming a master at laying brick

This woman and her baby
waited patiently to see a doctor.
Jaden--our drivers are really phenomenal

Nightly reading:  Galatians 5:22-26 (fruits of the spirit)
If you know the root, He grows the fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment